Thursday, August 04, 2011

Ordering a Cake : An ordeal or just a piece o' cake

Last week, I ordered a cake online and it took me quite some time to finally decide on the perfect one. Yes, getting a customized cake is no piece of cake. 

First of all, I tried to find the best bakery in the town to get the best cake possible. Then it was time for some real hard-work, which started right after I clicked on the custom cakes icon. And there began my journey into the unknown world of cake and its parts. 

It began with the choice of six different kinds of cakes, I had to select one (obviously). And that led me to the next page, where the decision had to be made about the size of the cake depending on the number of people to be served; which was not that complicated. Another hurdle cleared, it was time to decide on the filling for the cake from the long drop-down list of 20 available fillings, this one was complicated.

Three down, I moved to the next question with far less choices than the last one; it was about icing options from a list of just 5; this one was real easy. The next challenge was about toppings, the most fun part of the whole process; definitely no one can go wrong with the chocolate sprinkles. 

The fifth multiple-choice question was the fruit choices; I was quick to pick the perfect fruit for the cake. The one that followed was very colorful of them all, I had to pick the decorating color and yes, this time there was some room for imagination, as there was the option of 'other'; and I selected just the right shade. 

And of course, the bakery needs to be aware of the occasion for which the cake is being customized and bingo, right on target the next question dealt with this crucial issue. So, now that the question-answer round was over, it was time for the birthday message to be written on the cake; which I had been thinking about since long.

Last but not the least, the most important piece of information had to be provided - the name of the person and address where the cake had to be delivered on the scheduled date.

Huff !! That was quite an ordeal !! But at last, the most beautiful and yummiest cake was constructed (brick by brick), and after tasting that cake, I realized that it sure was just a 'piece o' cake'.